Many organizations are implementing an Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OHSMS) as part of their risk management strategy to address changing legislation and protect their workforce.
An OHSMS promotes a safe and healthy working environment by providing a framework that allows your organization to consistently identify and control its health and safety risks, reduce the potential for accidents, aid legislative compliance and improve overall performance.
OHSAS 18001 is the internationally recognized assessment specification for occupational health and safety management systems. It was developed by a selection of leading trade bodies, international standards and certification bodies to address a gap where no third-party certifiable international standard exists.
OHSAS 18001 has been designed to be compatible with ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, to help your organization meet their health and safety obligations in an efficient manner.
The following key areas are addressed by OHSAS 18001:
- Planning for hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control
- OHSAS management programme
- Structure and responsibility
- Training, awareness and competence
- Consultation and communication
- Operational control
- Emergency preparedness and response
- Performance measuring, monitoring and improvement
OHSAS 18001 can be adopted by any organization wishing to implement a formal procedure to reduce the risks associated with health and safety in the working environment for employees, customers and the general public. If you are interested in knowing more about the Indian regulatory and compliance requirements relating to ISO 14001 Environment Management System and OHSAS 18001 then you can refer to the following sites.
What are the benefits of OHSAS 18001?
- Create the best possible working conditions across your organization
- Identify hazards and put in place controls to manage them
- Reduce workplace accidents and illness to cut related costs and downtime
- Engage and motivate staff with better, safer working conditions
- Demonstrate compliance to customers and suppliers
And if work-related road safety is a concern, OHSAS 18001 can be combined with ISO 39001 Road Traffic Safety to make sure you address the increasing risks presented to your employees in all work related activities.